Language Interpretation Services Now Available
If you have limited English skills, do not let that stop you from visiting an Extension office. If you have difficulty speaking or understanding English, our staff can serve you by connecting you to one of our Extension agents through a telephone-based interpreter. Interpretation for more than 200 languages is provided. This service is free to our clients. Read more
Winter Home Gardening Series
A series of 10 free classes will be held on select Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m., beginning January 2, 2016 at the Pamunkey Regional Library in Mechanicville (7461 Sherwood Crossing Pl, Mechanicsville, VA 23111).
The dates and topics of the 2016 Winter Home Gardening Series are:
- January 2: Garden tools & more
- January 16: Save money and eat better with home grown vegetables
- February 13: Learn to prune: "When, how and why"
- February 27: Growing seeds indoors –Get a jump start on your garden
- March 12: Beautify your world with flowers
- March 26: How to make and use compost
- April 2: Simple Principles of Landscape Design
- April 9: Berries and small fruit that will grow in Hanover and how to grow them
- April 23: How to make the world a better place to live: Use native plants to preserve habitat
- May 14: Insects; the good, the bad, the ugly
- May 21: Have a lawn to be proud of
No Preregistration Required!!!
Spring Break Program: Buzzing With the Bees
Hanover Master Gardeners will present “BUZZING WITH THE BEES,” a workshop for children and adults, held at several of the Hanover branches of the Pamunkey Regional Libraries to coincide with Spring Break. The hands-on experience will teach participants about pollination and the role of native bees and honeybees in our environment. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Participants will make mason bee "houses" and will begin the germination of sunflower or bean seeds to take home.
The workshops will be held every half hour at the following times and locations:
- Monday, March 28 - 11 am to 1 pm at the Lois Wickham Jones Montpelier Library
- Monday, March 28 - 6 to 8 pm at the Richard S. Gills, Jr. Ashland Library
- Tuesday, March 29 - 1 to 3 pm at the Cochrane Rockville Library
- Wednesday, March 30 - 1 to 3 pm at the Mechanicsville Library
- Thursday, March 31 - 1 to 3 pm at the Atlee Library
- Friday, April 1 - 1 to 3 pm at the Hanover Library
Space is limited and reservations are required. To reserve a 30-minute slot, contact the Hanover County Extension Office at 804-752-4310 or send an email to email@example.com
If you are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services, or other accommodations to participate in this activity, contact the Hanover County Cooperative Extension Office at 804-752-4310 (TDD number 800-828-1120) during business hours of 8:30am to 5 pm to discuss accommodations five days prior to the event.
See our new videos
Southern States Coop, Virginia Farm Bureau, and the Dinwiddie Corn Club have new videos to share!
Check us out on Facebook!
Have you found us on Facebook yet? If not, Like our page and stay up-to-date on current activities!