4-H Youth Development
4-H is a national youth development organization that teaches youth leadership, citizenship, and life skills through hands-on, learn-by-doing approaches. 4-H is the nation’s largest youth development organization, and is offered locally through the Virginia Cooperative Extension system of Virginia Tech and Virginia State University. 4-H is offered to youth in James City County by the Virginia Cooperative Extension office in James City County.
The mission of 4-H is to help youth, and adults working with those youth, gain knowledge, life skills, and attitudes that will further their development as self-directing, contributing, and productive members of society. Regardless of the program topic, our focus is on life skill development among participants.
4-H programs in James City County are delivered in a variety of ways, including community clubs led by adult volunteers, in-school and after-school enrichment programs, summer camps, and district, state, and nation-wide 4-H activities and events. The 4-H program in James City County is coordinated by the Extension 4-H Agent, Sally Brooks, but the majority of the clubs and programs are delivered by dedicated volunteers.
Any youth in James City County between the ages of five and 19 can participate in 4-H, and we are always in need of adult volunteers for our many programs and activities. Click on the links below to learn more about the 4-H programs offered in James City County, as well as 4-H programs offered at the district, state, and national level.
Questions about the 4-H program can be directed to Sally Brooks at 757-564-2170 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4-H Summer Camp
- Making Waves Teen Leadership Club
- Archery Club
- Horsemanship Clubs and Program (Information coming soon!)
- Pet Pals Companion Dog Club
- E2: Environmental Education Program for WJCC Schools (Information coming soon!)
- 4-H Peer Teacher Program
- Adult Volunteers Needed! (Information coming soon!)
- Start a Club of Your Own (Information coming soon!)
- Specialty Programs at Virginia 4-H Educational Centers
- 4-H Opportunities at the District, State, and National Level
- State 4-H Program Website
- National 4-H Program Website